One of the most important aspects of working with ayahuasca is adhering to a honored tradition of following a special diet in order to prepare not just the body, but also the mind and soul to incorporate the healing energy of ayahuasca. This diet also shows the spirit of ayahuasca your intention, and is a test of discipline and commitment.
The central aspects of the diet we follow at the Temple are common to the teachings of all ayahuasquero/as across the Peruvian Amazon. In the case of some of the food restrictions, there is also definitive scientific evidence that they are essential for safety. We advise you to begin the diet at least two weeks before a retreat and to continue the diet for at least two weeks after the last ceremony. It is essential to continue the diet to ensure the ikaros you have received and any possible plant remedies you are prescribed, are given sufficient time to integrate.
The food prepared at the Temple is prepared by our wonderful cooks who provide you with a well rounded, healthy and plentiful diet throughout your stay whilst adhering to the essential restrictions.
Please abstain from the following foods prior to, during, and after your workshop:
- Sexual activities of any kind, including masturbation
- ALL street drugs (cocaine, MDMA, amphetamines, etc.) – obligatory for your safety and for the possible energetic impact on other guests
- Spicy foods
- Ice, ice cream, or ice cold drinks
- Reﬁned sugars
- Red meat
- Junk foods
- Salt or pepper
- Sweets or chocolate
- Oils (if you must use oil, use olive or coconut oil very sparingly)
- Animal fats (lard, etc.)
- Carbonated drinks (including diet sodas, energy drinks, non-alcoholic beer)
- Dairy products
- Fermented foods
- Caffeine & other stimulants
- IMPORTANT: Please contact us if you are currently taking any medication or supplements.
- If you will be menstruating during the retreat, please inform your facilitators when you arrive.
- Ayahuasca is not compatible with pregnancy.
- Avoidance of synthetic soaps, perfumes, toiletries, etc.
By eliminating the above from your diet, you will prepare your body physically for the ayahuasca journey, and perhaps also reducing the amount of “purging” needed to clean your physical body. In addition to the physical aspects, by showing your commitment and determination to ayahuasca and the master plants, you are creating the foundations of your relationship with them and offering them the respect which is essential for this work.
Critical Note – Due to a very limited number of past guests who have not adhered to dietary restrictions after leaving a workshop, we need to re-emphasize that maintaining the diet is an absolutely essential factor in the healing process. The three most fundamental restrictions after a workshop are street drugs (cocaine, ecstasy, LSD, etc), sexual activity and pork. If a guest decides to not adhere to this critical advice after leaving the Temple, we cannot be held liable for the consequences (which can be severe psychological and energetic damage).
Please consider the work of the healers like a ‘healing mirror’ that is delicately woven onto the system of our guests. In the first two weeks immediately preceding a workshop, if the three key restrictions are not adhered to, then the mirror can be smashed. To repair the mirror and the potentially fractured psyche is then an extremely difficult process.