One of the most important aspects of working with ayahuasca is adhering to a time-honoured tradition of following a special diet in order to prepare not just the body, but also the mind and soul to incorporate the healing energy of ayahuasca. This diet also shows the spirit of ayahuasca your intention, and is a test of discipline and commitment.
The central aspects of the diet we follow at the Temple are common to the teachings of all ayahuasquero/as across the Peruvian Amazon. In the case of some of the food restrictions, there is also definitive scientific evidence that they are essential for safety. We advise you to begin the diet at least 1 week before a 12 day workshop and to continue the diet for at least one week after the last ceremony. It is essential to continue the diet to ensure the ikaros you have received and any possible plant remedies you are prescribed, are given sufficient time to integrate.
The food prepared at the Temple is prepared by our wonderful cooks who provide you with a well rounded, healthy and plentiful diet throughout your stay whilst adhering to the essential restrictions.
We recommend that you abstain from the following foods prior to, during and after your workshop:
- No salt or pepper
- No sugar, sweets or chocolate
- No pork (minimum 2 weeks before and after)
- No red meat
- No oils (if you must use oil, use olive oil very sparingly)
- No animal fats (lard, etc)
- No alcohol (minimum 1 week before and after)
- No fizzy drinks (including “diet” sodas, as these contain NutraSweet/Aspartame and other sweeteners), no energy drinks, no non-alcoholic beer
- No seasoning (white pepper, spices, etc)
- No chillies or other hot peppers
- No ice, ice cream, or ice cold drinks
- No dairy produce
- No sexual activities of any kind, including masturbation.
- Avoidance of synthetic soaps, perfumes, toiletries, etc. (Lifesystems all purpose travel soap and Dr Bronners mild liquid soap are recommended).
- No prescription drugs (please contact us with more information if you are currently taking any medication, especially antidepressants or antibiotics).
- If female participants are menstruating, then please inform us.
- Ayahuasca is not compatible with pregnancy.
By eliminating the above from your diet, you will prepare your body physically for the ayahuasca journey, and perhaps also reducing the amount of “purging” needed to clean your physical body. In addition to the physical aspects, by showing your commitment and determination to ayahuasca and the master plants, you are creating the foundations of your relationship with them and offering them the respect which is essential for this work.