Permaculture Design Course and Ayahuasca Retreat – June 3rd, 2017
The Temple and our sister non-profit organization, the Chaikuni Institute, are thrilled to join forces to create this incredible opportunity to experience a Permaculture Design Course and an Ayahuasca Retreat in the heart of the Amazon rainforest.
We are offering a fully-certified Permaculture Design Certificate Course (PDC) that is truly unique, combining a full immersion into the philosophy and practice of permaculture design with an 8-day ayahuasca retreat, led by our resident and beloved Shipibo healers.
The Permaculture Design Course will be from June 3rd-18th, and the optional Ayahuasca Retreat will be immediately following, from June 18th-25th. Participation in this Ayahuasca Retreat is limited to the first 15 participants of the PDC who register for the retreat and are approved. Select the option to participate in the Ayahuasca Retreat when you register.
Ayahuasca is one of nature’s greatest teachers and a central part of many indigenous medical systems all over the western Amazon forest. This course is a unique opportunity to learn about the patterns of nature through an integrative approach that combines the wisdom of this powerful master plant with the knowledge and experience of some of the best permaculture designers in the world. Our aim is to provide fertile ground to create a true dialogue based on reciprocity and cross pollination between plant intelligence and human ingenuity. We will inspire participants to live abundantly in line with the rhythms and patterns of nature while fostering deep personal healing and transformation processes.
Embedded within the lush jungle, the plants remind us that our external environment is a direct reflection of our inner space and vice-versa. By taking care of ourselves we take care of our communities and ecosystems, and by taking care of our environment, we take care of ourselves. This is the ancient and timeless law of reciprocity, one of the pillars of life in traditional societies all over the world.
In line with our emphasis in intercultural education and our commitment to empower local populations, this Permaculture Design Certificate Course will be offered in both English and Spanish, with professional simultaneous translators present. This will allow us to be more inclusive and invite up to 10 local Peruvian farmers, indigenous students and native forest engineers to participate in this course. As firm proponents of the sacred principles of reciprocity and mutuality, we want to fund the cost of their certification with the fees received from our foreign participants, as we believe that everyone has the right to access and be able to create abundant and vibrant living systems regardless of their nationality, background or socioeconomic situation.
Permaculture Design Certificate Course – June 3rd-18th
The Permaculture Design Certificate Course (PDC) is the gold standard in the permaculture community. It is an immersive, experiential program designed to teach the philosophy, principles and foundations of sustainable design.
Our course offers the standard PDC curriculum with a special emphasis on forest gardening in the tropics. Particular attention will be given to perennial tropical vegetables, tropical fruit and nut trees, non-timber forest crops, tropical soils and fertility management, water systems, energy systems, appropriate structures and building materials, staying healthy in the humid tropics, animal systems, aquaculture, permaculture design, and the design process.
Although we will be in a tropical setting, many of the techniques will transfer directly to any climate. Students will receive resources and plant lists for various climates as part of the course content. We will talk about the parallels between permaculture and sustainable traditional practices and demonstrate examples of how permaculture principles and local knowledge can coexist and fertilize each other.
The course begins with an intensive introduction to the principles, philosophy, and ethics of permaculture design: what is permaculture, how it is applied, and the main design and thought paradigms used. Course participants will be introduced to the Temple of the Way of Light permaculture site as a teaching and demonstration tool.
The following days will be dedicated to specific aspects of permaculture design, including water systems, energy use and efficiency, natural building, and (especially) agroforestry. This part of the course will include lectures, on-site examples, and hands-on experience putting all of the information into context. Several hours in the afternoon will be dedicated to workshops and more intensive work projects on the site. We will also visit the world-famous Belen market in the nearby city of Iquitos, where students will get research assignments and sample the wide arrange of Amazonian produce. The end of the course brings everyone together in a final group design project that is presented on the final day of the course.
All are welcome – no prior experience is necessary to participate.
At the end of the course, all participants will receive a certificate of completion of 72 course hours plus 20 additional hours of skill-building workshops and hands-on work experience.
Ayahuasca Retreat – June 18th-25th
An optional, 8 day ayahuasca retreat will be held following the PDC, exclusively for our PDC participants. This retreat will be led by an amazing team of dedicated teachers and facilitators, and will include 3 ayahuasca ceremonies, led by our beloved Shipibo healers. The ayahuasca retreat is offered as an additional opportunity to connect deeper with the plants and participation is optional. Select to participate in the Ayahuasca Retreat when you register for the PDC. Since we only have 15 available spaces to offer in the retreat, priority will be given to the first 15 who register and are approved.
This retreat offers an opportunity to experience deep healing which reaches to the energetic roots of trauma, imbalance, and disorder, and initiates a long-term journey of self-reflection, self-discovery, and spiritual transformation.
At the Temple, we are committed not only to providing the safest and deepest ayahuasca healing and plant spirit experience in the Amazon, but are equally as committed to ensuring that our guests are able to sustain, cultivate, and integrate their healing experiences back into day-to-day life after a retreat. We constantly strive to create the optimal conditions and orientation on our retreats to work with ayahuasca, and since 2007, have been passionately dedicated to providing a caring, professional, and supportive setting, and creating a safe, sacred space for our guests to heal, integrate, and transform.
*Please note that ayahuasca is not suitable for everybody. All applicants must complete a comprehensive medical screening and a psychological questionnaire to check for any potential contraindications with ayahuasca, and approval is not guaranteed. If you select to participate in the retreat, you will be notified of your approval for the retreat after your medical information has been reviewed by our team.
To learn more about ayahuasca, please visit this page.
A Unique Opportunity Fusing Permaculture & Amazonian Plant Medicine
One of the key points that make this Permaculture Design Certificate Course unique in the world, is the opportunity to supplement the permaculture training and practice with deep, immersive, and transformative plant medicine work. We believe these two fields of action to be interrelated and inseparable: it is through our personal transformation and growth that we are able to bring transformation and growth out into the world. In a very real sense, we believe that individual healing is not independent of collective and environmental healing: a holistic vision of health must include our own health, as well as the health of our communities, our societies, our forests and our rivers.
Who is this course for?
- Anyone with a strong sense of responsibility towards our mother earth and the people, animals and plants who inhabit her, and would like to act upon that responsibility by learning how to work the land responsibly, sustainably and abundantly.
- Anyone who has been inspired by our work at the Temple and would like to contribute to this work by deepening their own understanding of the Permaculture concept and design
- Anyone who wants to learn about the philosophy, principles and practice of permaculture design from world-renown teachers.
- Anyone who is interested in the implementation of permaculture designs for tropical climates.
- Anyone interested on learning on a site that has been developing its own permaculture infrastructure following the master plan co-designed by one of the teachers.
- Anyone who is interested in ayahuasca, Amazonian indigenous healing practices and plant-based medicine systems.
- Anyone who is called to protect the Amazon rainforest by providing opportunities for local farmers to learn more about permaculture and other sustainable practices.
- Anyone interested in taking an active role in building a regenerative future
- Anyone with a focus in agriculture, architecture, ecology, gardening, landscaping, education, or community development.
- Anyone interested in working with not only master human teachers to understand the patterns of nature, but with a master plant teacher as well.
Permaculture Design Course Facilitators
Since 1981, Douglas Bullock has lived with his extended family, friends, and skill builders on their Permaculture Homestead on Orcas Island. Douglas has facilitated or directly participated in comprehensive Permaculture projects and classes at their site and at sites around the world, including Australia, New Zealand, Hawai’i, Costa Rica, the Bahamas, Nicaragua, Peru, Spain, Poland, California and Washington.
Having traveled extensively collecting and studying agricultural systems, he is familiar with a wide range of climate strategies and crops. His specialties include permaculture design, tree crops, nursery practices, creating small and large-scale wetland environments, and implementing appropriate technologies. Douglas has also written articles and pamphlets on permaculture featured in the Permaculture Activist and in the International Permaculture Journal. He is also one of the principal designers of the Chaikuni Institute’s permaculture master plan.
John Valenzuela is a horticulturist, consultant, and permaculture educator. Living in Hawai’i for 15 years, he studied and practiced tropical permaculture while teaching throughout the Islands to a wide range of people — children, students, professionals, farmers, displaced sugar workers, owners, and renters. He has been a lead permaculture design course teacher at the Bullock Family Homestead in Orcas Island, Washington, for 10 years, also having taught in Costa Rica and throughout urban and rural California.
John’s special interests are home gardens, plant propagation, rare fruit, food forests, agroforestry, ethnobotany, and native ecosystems. John is now based in his original home state of California, where he maintains ornamental and edible landscapes and a small nursery, while sharing his passion for plants. John has served as the chairperson for the Golden Gate Chapter of the California Rare Fruit Growers Association.
The Onanya, Ayahuasca and the Master Plants
We deeply honor and respect indigenous healing traditions of the Amazon that have evolved over thousands of years and offer the most effective ayahuasca healing experience. We work with some of the most respected, kind-hearted and powerful healers (Onanya) from the Shipibo tribe who are experts in ayahuasca healing and plant spirit shamanism of the Amazon.
Our team of healers has been carefully selected over many years to work at the Temple. They bring a rich cultural and medicinal legacy, time honored rituals, intricate practices, an expansive cosmology, an encyclopedic knowledge of medicinal plants of the Amazon and a far reaching ancestral lineage to the healing process.
We provide potent and visionary ayahuasca sourced from deep in the rainforest in the Shipibo territories. Our ayahuasca is made from ‘cielo’ (sky / heaven) ayahuasca and chacruna with no admixtures. The ceremonies led by our healers offer the highest levels of shamanic mastery available in the Peruvian Amazon combined with an exemplary track record in terms of safety, protection, care for and support of our guests.
The Chaikuni Institute
The Chaikuni Institute is an NGO located in a beautiful and lush plot of land along the Nanay river, a tributary to the mighty Amazon river. We take our name from the Shipibo culture’s mythology and language: for the Shipibo indigenous people, a Chaikuni is a powerful spirit, protector and guardian of the jungle. Our aim, as the name suggests, is both to protect the environment that sustains us and to support and empower local people and communities in their struggles for social and environmental justice.
Since our beginnings, permaculture has been an integral part of that mission and vision: through implementing our own successful permaculture master plan, we also hope to inspire local farmers to reconnect with the ancestral, sustainable permaculture-like practices of their forefathers, practices rooted in the timeless indigenous concept of Sumaq Kausay, or “Good Living”. Sadly, these are practices that a majority of Amazonian farmers have forgotten, being forced by the constraints of modernity to adopt slash and burn techniques, necessary for the implementation of the ubiquitous soil-depleting monocultures that are having a major impact on the environment.
The development of the Chaikuni Institute Permaculture project follows a masterplan designed by Terra Phoenix Designs and led by world-renowned permaculture designer and tropical permaculture expert, Doug Bullock. The Masterplan incorporates the development of an extensive permaculture program across 200 hectares of degraded rainforest and the construction of the Institute’s building facilities for the housing and education of our interns, guests and staff.
By combining permaculture principles and a return to traditional knowledge, the Chaikuni Institute teaches and applies regenerative development practices. Using both modern and traditional technologies to meet today’s challenges with a positive outlook, the Chaikuni Institute focuses on solutions rather than problems.
What’s Included in the Permaculture Design Course:
- Two world-renowned permaculture designers will lead and teach the course
- Workshops, lectures, on-site examples, hands-on experience, and a design project
- The permaculture grounds on-site at the Temple will serve as teaching and demonstration tool
- Transportation to and from Iquitos
- Visits to local farms to show examples of native solutions for sustainable (and non-sustainable) design systems (depending on weather)
- Visit to Belen market in Iquitos (depending on weather)
- Accommodation in private room or tent (bring your own)
- 3 meals a day and fruit to snack on throughout the day (Some of the food is grown organically on our land. Products that we are not able to grow at our farm are sourced from surrounding villages and Belen market.)
- Translation from Shipibo / Spanish to English
What’s Included in the Ayahuasca Retreat:
- Group size limited to 15 people
- 3 ayahuasca ceremonies over the 8 days
- 2 Shipibo healers – one male and one female
- Experienced facilitator to guide guests throughout the retreat with processing and integrating the healing experiences
- A cleansing steam bath on the first day of the retreat
- Daily Jain Póiti (banos de florecimento) – cleansing, purifying and strengthening floral baths
- Vomitivos (stomach cleansing) to rid the stomach of some toxins
- All food and drink – a deliciously simple diet suitable for working with medicinal plants / ayahuasca
- Explore the jungle and see medicinal plants in their natural environment
- Individual consultations with the facilitators
- Group processing and integration meetings
- Individual accommodation in private rooms
- Translation from Shipibo / Spanish to English
What’s Not Included:
- Airfare (International and National)
- Airport transportation
- Travel Insurance
- Accommodation in Iquitos
- Peruvian Visa costs for non EEC or USA nationals
- Personal expenses (meals and drinks in Iquitos, etc)
|Permaculture Design Course (with individual room)||US$ 1,500|
|Permaculture Design Course (bring your own tent)||US$ 1,250|
|Optional Ayahuasca Retreat (with individual room)||Additional US$ 1,000|
A portion of the income from our ayahuasca retreats funds projects on environmental justice, sustainable development and intercultural education run by our Peruvian NGO, The Chaikuni Institute, who partners with indigenous people in the Amazon.
Terms and Advice
- We accept payments via credit card and PayPal. Credit card payments are made during the online booking process. If you select to pay via PayPal, we will issue you an invoice after your medical questionnaire has been approved. If you have made a credit card payment and later learn that you are not cleared to come for a workshop per your medical history, your payment will be fully refunded.
- We offer you the option of paying a deposit of at least 50% of the program cost to confirm your reservation. You can also pay the full workshop cost when booking.
- Your balance must be paid in full at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the workshop to guarantee your reservation. If you made a deposit with a credit card, we will charge that card automatically for the outstanding balance 6 weeks prior to the start of the workshop.
- Payments are only refundable provided we have a minimum of 8 weeks notice prior to the start of a workshop. Any refunds given will occur a 10% administration fee. You may change your workshop reservation to another date at no cost or transfer your payment(s) to another participant, provided said participant has been approved to attend a workshop and that it is a minimum of 8 weeks prior to the start of the workshop.
- If original payment was made with a credit card, any refund will be credited back to the card originally charged. We are only able to refund via PayPal for other forms of payment.
- For cancellations within 8 weeks of the start of a workshop, payments will only be refunded, credited to a future date, or transferred to another participant if we can fill your place in the workshop. We will try our best to do so.
- We strongly recommend that you take out adequate travel insurance for any cancellations due to unforeseen circumstances. Squaremouth is an insurance service we can suggest that can cover not only retreat costs but the possibility to recover airfare costs too.
Availability and Booking
All registrations must be made from a computer as we do not have mobile capability for our medical forms at this time.
The Permaculture Design Course will be from June 3rd-18th, and the optional Ayahuasca Retreat will be immediately following, from June 18th-25th. Participation in this Ayahuasca Retreat is limited to the first 15 participants of the PDC who register for the retreat and are approved. Select the option to participate in the Ayahuasca Retreat when you register. If you do not participate in the Ayahuasca Retreat, you will return to Iquitos on June 18th.
Once you have completed your booking and your medical information has been reviewed by our team, we will be in touch with you to confirm your booking. Please do not book flights or make any travel arrangements until your registration and medical information has been reviewed and you have been approved to attend a workshop. If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected].
|June 3 - 25, 2017||Open||Register now|