Carbon Onsetting the Impact of Flying to the Amazon
As part of our commitment to serve as an exemplary model of sustainability, reciprocity and environmental responsibility, the Temple and the Chaikuni Institute have partnered with Earth Deeds – to offer the opportunity for ayahuasca retreat participants (visiting the Temple or any other ayahuasca center in the Amazon) to account for the carbon emissions generated from flying to Peru.
People are frustrated by governments and corporations inadequately addressing climate change and other ecological crises, and want simple and easy ways they can make a positive difference. Earth Deeds meets this need through innovative online tools for individuals and groups to acknowledge their ecological impacts, and give back to the Earth by supporting sustainable community projects of their choice.
Rather than buying a clean conscience with carbon offsets, let’s be conscious of the actual costs of our emissions and support solutions that address the causes as well as the impacts of global warming. Everyone agrees we need to better understand and reduce our CO2 emissions. A big question and controversy, however, is around what we should do about our remaining, unavoidable emissions.
Recognizing these challenges, Earth Deeds has developed a new option called “onsetting” that drops the controversial claim of carbon neutrality and enables funding to go towards local and meaningful sustainability projects that are responding to climate change.
Using Earth Deeds online tools, participants in a group event or activity can:
- Measure and reduce CO2 emissions via custom calculators,
- Contribute funds to account for the social cost of their impacts, and
- Transfer collected funds to sustainability projects.
Onsetting resolves the problems of the VCM and offers the following benefits:
- Support of Small, Local Sustainability Projects: This can include projects that do not directly mitigate carbon emissions but have meaning to them and their local communities, such as creating local food systems, preserving biodiversity, and fighting for climate justice.
- Increased Efficiency: By avoiding costs associated with third-party verification, traders, consultants, and other middlemen, at least 85% of funds can be sent to the projects.
- A Positive Story: Rather than guilty indulgences, onsetting says, “Let’s be grateful for what fossil fuels have allowed us to accomplish; let’s recognize and internalize the environmental costs in burning these fuels; and now let’s pay-it-forward to help create sustainable and resilient communities and ecosystems.”
- Connecting to Real Impacts: Rather than pricing carbon based on market forces, Earth Deeds prices emissions based on the best scientific estimate of their actual costs. Doing so helps users understand and respond to the real impacts of their emissions. More information on how Earth Deeds prices carbon can be found here.
- Trust in the process: All transactions are transparent, use of funding is local and visible, and concerns around additionality become irrelevant.
Accounting for Environmental Impact of Traveling
Let’s move beyond the idea that we can “neutralize” our environmental impacts at a distance and create new mechanisms to account for the true costs of our impacts and efficiently channel money to sustainability projects that are creating sustainable communities and ecosystems.
Proceeds are sent directly to the Chaikuni Institute to fund projects focused on permaculture, intercultural education and human & nature rights in the Amazon.
If you are either traveling to attend a retreat at the Temple or a retreat at another center, we would be very grateful if you could please account for your travel emissions considering one of the following two ways:
- To calculate your total emissions, visit this page (and click “Onset Emission Now” on the right hand side of the page). This page will show you in real-world terms what the cost is to onset your emissions subject where you are flying from.
- If you are not able to cover the full cost of your emissions, we kindly ask you to consider a partial payment of $33. Go to the Chaikuni Project page and click on the Chaikuni box to contribute.
Please also consider using this opportunity to account for any travel emissions you generate whenever you are flying in the future. All proceeds directly benefit projects run by the Chaikuni Institute in the Peruvian Amazon.
Thank you for joining us in our efforts to preserve and protect the Amazon, its people and their traditions.
– The Temple of the Way of Light and The Chaikuni Institute.